Bikash Ranjan Sahoo, Ph.D.
2016 - Biophysics Ph.D., Osaka University, Japan
Protein misfolding and aggregation into amyloid fibers happens during aging and cause diseases like Alzheimer's (AD), Parkinson's ( PD ) and Type 2 Diabetes ( T2D ). Among numerous intrinsic and extrinsic factors that modulate the protein aggregation, cell-membrane is strongly associated with the pathogenesis of these diseases. We, therefore, would like to explore the molecular mechanism of such aggregation at atomistic scale using lipid-nanodiscs that provides a native membrane-mimetic model environment. We are integrating a variety of advanced biophysical and computational approaches to tracking the dynamic structural changes of two major amyloidogenic peptides amyloid-beta ( Aβ ) and Islet amyloid polypeptide ( IAPP ) that are connected to AD and T2D, respectively. The research findings and the high-resolution structure elucidation will be greatly helpful to develop therapeutic strategies not only for AD and T2D but also for several devastating neurodegenerative diseases in which amyloids are involved.
Selected PublicationsFull-list of publications.
(11) 2018 - Lee YH., Lin Y., Cox S.J., Kinoshita M., Sahoo B.R., Ivanova M., Ramamoorthy A., Zinc boosts EGCG's hIAPP amyloid inhibition both in solution and membrane, Biochimica et Biophys Acta Proteins Proteomomics
(10) 2018 - Sahoo B.R., Genjo T., Bekier M., Cox S.J., Stoddard A.K., Ivanova M., Yasuhara K., Fierke C., Wang Y., Ramamoorthy A., Alzheimer's amyloid-beta intermediates generated using polymer-nanodiscs, Chemical Commununication 54:12883-12886.
(9) 2018 - Sahoo B.R., Genjo T., Cox S.J., Stoddard A.K., Anantharamaiah G.M., Fierke C., Ramamoorthy A., Nanodisc-forming scaffold protein promoted retardation of amyloid-beta aggregation, Journal of Molecular Biology 430:4230-4244.
(8) 2018 - Barnaba C., Sahoo B.R., Ravula T., Meza I.M., Im SC., Anantharamaiah G., Waskell L., Ramamoorthy A., Cytochrome-P450 induced ordering of microsomal membranes modulates affinity for drugs, Angewandte Chemie 57:3391 -3395.
(7) 2017 - Yasuhara K., Arakida J., Ravula T., Ramadugu S.K., Sahoo B.R., Kikuchi J., Ramamoorthy A., Spontaneous lipid nanodisc fomation by amphiphilic polymethacrylate copolymers, Journal of the American Chemical Society 139:18657-18663.
(6) 2017 - Sahoo B.R., Maruyama K., Edula J.R., Tougan T., Lin Y., Lee YH., Horii T., Fujiwara T., Bioengineered bovine Cathelicidin-5 with enhanced anticancer and antimicrobial activity, Scientific Reports 7:44781.
(5) 2016 - Sahoo B.R., Fujiwara T., Membrane mediated antimicrobial and antitumor activity of Cathelicidin 6: Structural insights from molecular dynamics simulation on multi-microsecond scale, PLoS ONE 11: e0158702.
(4) 2015 - Sahoo B.R., Dikhit M.R., Bhoi G.K., Maharana J., Lenka S.K., Dubey P.K., Tiwari D.K., Understanding the distinguishable structural and functional features in zebrafish TLR3 and TLR22,and their binding modes with fish dsRNA viruses: an exploratory structural model analysis, Amino Acids 47: 381-400.
(3) 2014 - Sahoo B.R., Maharana J., Patra M.C., Bhoi G.K., Lenka S.K., Dubey P.K., Goyal S., Dehury B., Pradhan S.K., Structural and dynamic investigation of bovine folate receptor alpha (FOLR1), and role ofultra-high temperature processing on conformational and thermodynamic characteristics of FOLR1–folate complex. Colloids and surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 121: 307-318.
(2) 2014 - Sahoo B.R., Maharana J., Bhoi G.K., Lenka S.K., Patra M.C., Dikhit M.R., Dubey P.K., Pradhan S.K., Behera B.K., A conformational analysis of mouse Nalp3 domain structures by molecular dynamics simulation, and binding sites analysis. Molecular BioSystems 10: 1104-1116.
(1) 2012 - Sahoo B.R., Basu M., Swain B., Maharana J., Dikhit M.R., Jayasankar P., Samanta M., Structural insights of rohu TLR3, its binding site analysis with fish reovirus dsRNA, polyI:C and zebrafish TRIF. International journal of biological macromolecules (2012); 51: 531-543.
Oral Presentations and Posters
2018 - 3rd Gateway NMR Conference, Pittsburgh, USA (Best poster award)
2018 - 32nd Annual Symposium of The Protein Society, Boston, USA (Travel award)
2016 - Regulatory Peptide Society, France (Travel award)
2015 - Protein Science Society Japan
2015 - 7th International Peptide Symposium, Singapore
2014 - Biophysical Society Japan
2012/13 - Indian Science Congress (Best poster award)
2019 - Isadore and Margaret Mezey Junior Investigator Travel Award, Michigan Alzheimer’s Disease Center.
2019 - Hans Neurath Outstanding Promise Travel Award, The Protein Society, Seattle, USA.
2018 - The FEBS Journal Poster Award, The 3rd Gateway NMR conference, Pittsburg, USA.
2018 - Hans Neurath Outstanding Promise Travel Award, The Protein Society, Boston, USA.
2018 - The FEBS Journal Poster Prize Award, 3rd Gateway NMR Conference, Pittsburgh, USA
2018 - The Hans Neurath Outstanding Promise Travel Award, 32nd Annual Symposium of The Protein Society, Boston, USA
2016-2017 - Research Scientist, RIKEN Fellowship, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, Japan
2016 - Regulatory Peptide Society "Young Investigator Travel Award", France
2013-2016 - Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) Scholarship, Japan
2010-2012 - Senior Research Fellow, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), India
2009-2010 - Research Internship, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India